Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Lull

I've now been in Vancouver for seven months and have begun to make some great progress in my acting career. 

The first few months were of course little shaky - getting settled in this new city (and country!), acclimatising to the cold and dreary Winter weather, creating new networks both personally and professionally, finding accommodation, the right job and dealing with the financial struggles of transitioning from a well paying acting gig in 2012 to dropping to the minimum wage of a mere $10.25p/hr! These are just some of the things that must be dealt with when moving across the world! But I've learned that the challenge is half the fun.

Beautiful Dreamer - Whistler Olympus Film Festival

God from the Machine

2013 started off with a bang!  For the past three months I have been involved in five different short films - Missing Persons, which my good friend Lillie Claire wrote herself, followed by Two Sides, a UBC Masters project directed by Ryan Atimoyoo. Through connections I made on this film, I met Adrianna Dos Moser, who asked me to be her lead for Unwritten. From there I met Al Yoshizawa on the shoot, and got the lead female role in God from the Machine. And last but not least I had the pleasure to act in Beautiful Dreamer last weekend, which was selected for the Top 10 in the 72 Hour Whistler Olympus Film Festival.  The film was screened in front of a thousand people on four different big screens. It was a lot of fun!

You can view the film here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB6GCgQklGo

For Beautiful Dreamer, I had the challenge of learning a song in a few hours, to then record/sing and play my ukulele for the short film soundtrack. It was a great experience and gives me so much added respect for musicians and the pressures they must face.
*
So after three months of five different short films I am now facing the dreaded LULL. So what IS the lull? - It's the question of "What's next?", "Do you have any acting projects lined up?" or "Had any good auditions lately?". These questions are not only asked by friends, family and fellow actors but they also circle around in my own mind regularly.  I have become a lot better at dealing with these moments over the past year.

The Raven - 2012

I've found in these quiet times it's a good opportunity to watch and study more films, read as many books as you can (keeping the mind fresh and working), learn a monologue (you never know when you might need it!), look into new acting classes and of course keep that blog updated ;)  Even keeping your website, headshots and resume up to date is a good little task to do during these times.

I am also a frequent user of Vancouver Actors Guide - there are constantly audition posts for short and independent films, stage and (if you're lucky) even paid work! WOAH! But it's definitely a good way to keep busy and applying for potential work.

Yesterday I had an audition for an AMC show. The casting agent said my first take was "a little lacking in energy and your eyes were darting around a bit too much", I took these notes into consideration and they seemed happier with my second take. I would like to get to the point where I can blow them away on the first take - because most of the time, you won't get a second chance.

Still shot from God from the Machine

I'm enjoying Canada more and more and loving this beautiful Spring weather. I have made some great connections, networks and friends here in the last seven months. I am excited for what the future holds, and staying positive that something big will come my way soon. It's all a learning experience and I am ready to test my knowledge and skill.
*
And - I won tickets to my first Canucks Hockey game on Thursday, yay! We are all Canucks..

Meisha


No comments:

Post a Comment

Meisha's Updates

"Take life in steps; each one is a journey to learn from." ~ Meisha