Monday, September 2, 2013

Canadian Anniversary

Almost a whole year has passed since I moved to Canada.

In two weeks I will be celebrating a year of living and surviving in Vancouver, Canada. It has been an experience, both challenging and fruitful. I have been blessed with some great friends, many a road trip and some great acting experience. I was lucky to sign with an agency within a few weeks of moving to Canada. Earlier this year booked my first role in a North American feature film - Eadweard Muybridge - starring Michael Eklund and Sara Canning.  I played "Florence" a young Irish model in the 1800's.  It was a great experience and although I was only on set for one day, it left me yearning for more!

Early 2013 saw me doing various short films. I always enjoy these because it is a chance to test out what works and what doesn't work for you as an actor. And if you're persistent enough, you will get a copy of the film to edit to your demo reel. My current demo reel is comprised primarily of short films, and even scenes that I have shot myself (with the help of the lovely Cole Bayford and Adam Boys) to add some variety.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWOVkedgYQA

Before I moved to Canada, I was worried about my standard American accent - but no longer! Living, listening and practising the accent has helped me refine and now confidently say, I can do a strong and believable North American accent. Since becoming a server (yes I am a stereotypical waitress/actress!)  my accent has become a lot better.  With all of my customers I use my North American accent and then switch back to my Aussie tongue when talking to the kitchen/other servers. It is surprising how quickly this became second nature to me. It is rare for a customer to ask me "Where are you from?" unless I intentionally switch to my Australian accent just to mess with them! ;) So just to reiterate - the best way is to practise in everyday life and become comfortable so you don't have to think about it anymore. When I was living in Australia I used to read pages of a book out loud in an American accent, record it and listen back to see how it was sounding.

Practise makes perfect.

Reflecting on the year, I have had some great experiences. I have also overcome many challenges and am still struggling with some of the recurring ones. But that is life! Financially living in Vancouver is very testing, but what would life be without struggle? I would like to book more roles here in Vancouver to add to my experience and I am currently making some changes in order to achieve this. I think it is important to establish myself here before moving to another big pond aka LA - it is on the cards just in the future.

I'm still a little fish but I'll just keep swimming.

May your dreams become reality...


Meisha
*





No comments:

Post a Comment

Meisha's Updates

"Take life in steps; each one is a journey to learn from." ~ Meisha